What Are The Features and Benefits Of Colorbond vs Tile Roofs?
Your roof is your front line defence against the elements and, in Brisbane particularly, the sun is fierce and the weather can turn at the drop of a hat. Because your roof is the main protective component of your home, it’s important to consider what roofing material is best for your property. In this article we compare colorbond vs tile roofs so you can make an informed decision to suit your home.
Two of the most popular roofing materials are tile roofs (made from either terracotta or cement) or colorbond roofs (made from steel). There are various features and benefits to both roofing systems, and Right Roofing can help you decide which material will work most effectively for your particular home.
Colorbond Roofing: Features And Benefits
Colorbond is a lightweight coated steel roofing material that has proven to withstand severe Australian weather conditions, making it a very popular modern choice for Brisbane homes. Some of the main features of colorbond roofing include:
- A wide variety of colours and modern designs
- Very durable steel coated with a corrosion and chip-resistant finish
- Low maintenance
- Energy-saving due to excellent thermal insulation and heat reflection
- Made from recyclable materials, making it environmentally friendly
- Long lasting (up to 70 years)
- Rain and other external sounds can still be heard
- Requires roof to be cut for any post-build installation of air conditioning or solar panelling
Tile Roofing: Features And Benefits
Tile roofing is a traditional choice for Australian roofs, popular for its durability and long lasting value. Composed of either concrete or terracotta, tile roofing is an excellent choice to stand firm against Brisbane’s heat and tropical storms. The main features of tile roofing are:
- Longevity and sturdiness (50-100 years if well-maintained)
- Timeless look and feel for Australian homes
- Excellent thermal insulation, retaining warmth during winter and reflecting heat during summer
- Soundproof, keeping your home quiet and peaceful
- Made from clay, tile roofs are environmentally friendly
- With exceptional durability, they are also waterproof and non-combustible
- Easy installation of air conditioning or solar panelling with removal of individual tiles
- Require regular inspections (annual or biannual)
Colorbond Roofs Vs Tile Roofs – Which Is Best For Brisbane Homes?
There are many factors to consider when choosing the right roofing material for your home such as cost, style, weight, longevity, durability, insulation, and maintenance. While colorbond roofing is a cheaper and lower maintenance option, tile roofing provides more robust protection and maintains value for many years.
You should consider obtaining an expert opinion to determine which roofing system is best for your home to ensure that you get the most value from your roof investment. Our team of qualified roofing specialists is at your disposal, so call us today on 0431 962 819 or send us your enquiry here.