It’s been an unusually quiet storm season this year, quite a change for Brisbane and the entire South East Queensland region. We are quite used to storms and with that can come some complacency around storm preparations, but now is the perfect time to review your home to make sure it’s ready for the next round of storms.
A roof that is prepared for severe weather can reduce damage risks and ensure the safety of your home and family. So with that storm in mind, here are our top tips to prepare your home in Brisbane or anywhere in Queensland for severe weather.
Inspect Your Roof Regularly
Inspecting your roof regularly is essential to identify any potential problems before they become more severe. We recommend that you engage a professional to inspect your roof, he will complete the following:
- Safety First: A professional roof inspection begins by ensuring all necessary safety precautions are in place, including the correct ladder, safety footwear and insurance combined with years of experience.
- Inspect the roof surface: We look for any visible damage to the tiles, metal or colorbond, such as cracks, missing pieces, or curling edges, sagging or uneven areas.
- Check the flashing: Review the flashing around chimneys, vents, and skylights for signs of damage or wear.
- Check the gutters: Check the gutters for debris buildup, which can cause water to back up and damage your roof. Make sure that the gutters are securely attached to the roof and that there are no visible signs of damage.
- Take photos: Take photos of any visible damage or areas of concern to help you remember what you need to repair or report to a professional roofer.
If you notice any signs of damage or are unsure about the condition of your roof, it’s best to consult with a professional roofing contractor for a thorough inspection and roof repair. Regular inspections can help identify potential problems early and prevent more extensive damage and costly repairs in the future.
Clean Gutters & Downpipes
Clogged gutters can cause significant damage to your roof if left unchecked. Gutters are designed to direct rainwater away from your roof and your home’s foundation. When gutters become clogged with debris like leaves, twigs, and other organic matter, water cannot flow freely through them. As a result, water can back up and accumulate on your roof, causing several problems, including:
- Roof Leaks: When water accumulates on your roof, it can seep under the tiles and cause leaks. Water can also damage the fascia boards and soffits around the roofline.
- Rot and Mold: Excess water on your roof can also cause rot and mold growth. Over time, the accumulation of moisture can weaken the structural integrity of your roof and cause significant damage.
- Pest Infestations: Clogged gutters can also attract pests like mosquitoes, rodents, and other insects that thrive in stagnant water.
To prevent these problems, it’s essential to clean your gutters regularly and ensure that they are free from debris. By keeping your gutters clean and functioning correctly, you can help protect your roof and your home from damage. If left for too long, clogged gutters can cause damage that requires roof repairs or even a full roof restoration.
Trim Overhanging Tree Branches
Overhanging tree branches can pose a significant threat during a storm, especially if they are large and close to your roof. Here are some potential dangers that can occur if you have overhanging tree branches during a storm:
- Falling branches: During high winds or heavy rain, overhanging tree branches can become unstable and break off, falling onto your roof, windows, or other parts of your property. Falling branches can cause significant damage to your home or other structures, and in extreme cases, they can even cause injury or death.
- Damage to power lines: Overhanging tree branches can also damage power lines during a storm, causing power outages and potentially leading to electrical fires. Falling branches can also pose a risk to people and property below the power lines
- Debris accumulation: During a storm, overhanging tree branches can also accumulate debris like leaves, twigs, and other organic matter. The buildup of debris can clog gutters and downspouts, causing water to back up and potentially damage your roof and other parts of your home.
To prevent these dangers, it’s essential to trim overhanging tree branches regularly, especially those that are close to your home or other structures. If you’re unsure about how to safely trim tree branches, it’s best to consult with a professional tree trimming service to avoid injury or damage to your property. By removing overhanging tree branches, you can help protect your home and property from damage during a storm.
Book A Professional Inspection
Getting a professional to inspect your roof is recommended for several reasons:
- Safety: Climbing onto your roof can be incredibly dangerous, especially if you’re not used to working at heights or don’t have the right equipment. Professional roof companies have the experience and training to inspect your roof safely and efficiently.
- Thoroughness: Professional roof companies are trained to identify signs of damage or wear that may not be visible to an untrained eye. They can also detect potential problems that may not be immediately apparent, such as leaks or rotting wood.
- Expertise: A roofing professional has the knowledge and expertise required to work with all types of roofs including tile roofs, terracotta roofs, Colorbond roofs, metal roofs and more. They can identify the specific type of roof you have and understand its unique characteristics and potential problem areas.
- Maintenance: A professional roof inspection will provide you with recommendations for maintaining your roof, such as regular cleaning or repairs, to help extend its lifespan and prevent costly repairs in the future.
- Documentation: A professional roof inspection typically includes a detailed report of the roof’s condition, including photos and recommendations for repairs or maintenance. This documentation can be valuable for insurance claims or when selling your home.
Overall, getting a professional to inspect your roof can provide you with peace of mind and help ensure that your roof is in good condition and ready to protect your home from the elements. It’s recommended to have your roof inspected by a professional at least once a year or after severe weather events.
If you would like a quote for a roof inspection to ensure your Brisbane home is storm safe, give us a call on 0431 962 819 and our friendly team will make an appointment to review your roof and your needs.